It’s time to freshen things up!
We have endured a long cold winter, but spring will be here before you know it!
Perhaps you’re moving to a new home and you’re searching for easy ways to put your stamp on the place… Good news: we have spotlighted a few easy ways to update your home, from the walls to the backyard. Many of these updates are DIY projects for an afternoon or a weekend!
However, don’t be afraid to enlist the help of professionals, especially if you plan on doing more than one project. There’s no shame in taking time to select what you want, then letting the experts give you a hand (especially if projects involve specialized areas such as plumbing or electrical wiring). At the same time, if you want to take a hands-on approach, many of these projects are well within your reach.
1. A Fresh Coat of Paint. Let’s start with a fun weekend project that can enliven any room-a fresh coat of paint! Now’s the time to try that bold color you’ve been dying to apply to your walls. Bring on the teal, midnight blue or olive green.
Need a paint consultation? Schedule by March 31st and it’s only $175.
That is a $50 Savings! Call us today at 914-273-6892.
2. A Grout Clean-Up. As time goes on, your grout may become dirty and discolored, which can be troubling if certain parts of the tile seem to age faster than others. If you have a room that is filled with tile, a good grout clean-up can be a perfect way to brighten up the space.
Some grout cleaning techniques involve the use of acid, which is why it may be a good idea to let the professionals handle this one. If your grout isn’t sealed, this may also be a good time to explore that applying a sealer, especially since it can prevent further discoloration and the growth of mold.
3. New Sink Faucets. Another great task for a professional: changing out the faucet in the kitchen or the bathroom. In fact, an interesting faucet is an effective way to make a statement and update your interior. For example, you can always go modern, especially if there are other clean-lined elements in the space.
Also consider the shape and style of your sink. For example, a contemporary bowl can be beautifully paired with a sleek faucet. Perhaps this is a good time to consider changing out your sink or countertop as well.
4. New Drawer Pulls. Want to give your favorite dresser a new look? Switch out the drawer pulls! This strategy is perfect for older pieces with hardware that’s starting to bend or tarnish. Have you wanted to change those brass handles to silver-toned pieces? Now’s your chance!
Or better yet, go with something totally unexpected-a selection that reinforces the other colors in the space. Below we see how shades of green give a a modern bathroom a playful yet contemporary look.
5. An Artwork Change-up. Buying a new piece of artwork can be a style game-changer for a space, especially if you take the time to select colors that heighten the effect of the hue on your wall. Below we see artwork by Jennifer Sanchez from West Elm. Note how shades such as yellow and pink are a striking contrast to the olive green wall behind the frame.
In fact, a striking piece of art has the power to be a focal point in your space, demanding attention in the most powerful of ways. Selecting colorful geometric artwork can be a great way to jazz up white or neutral walls and give your interior a gallery feel. Alison Friedricks Interiors has a number of accessory art vendors at fabulous prices.
6. A Lighting Update. When it comes to brightening your space, a new pendant light is a great way to add shine. Especially when the light is as stunning as the whimsical selection below.
And don’t forget about spaces such as the kitchen and bathroom. A bold lighting piece can transform a room in one powerful punch. Remember that installing lighting is a specialized task. Unless you know what you’re doing when it comes to electrical wiring, this is a time to call the professionals. Let us be your guide and help you navigate the countless options saving you time and money.
7. A Yard Clean-Out. As the weather gets warmer, it’s time to focus on your exterior space as well. Yes, your yard is an important part of your home, and nothing makes it more beautiful than a good clean-out. Remove old leaves, pull weeds and clear out dead plants. That way, the yard’s other features can truly shine!
Remember that dead leaves and other remaining traces of winter can hide in your planters, especially in other foliage. Removing them will allow your healthy plants to truly thrive and take in the sunlight.
8. A Lawn Refresher. Got dead grass? Now’s the time to fill in the gaps with seed or sod. Again, don’t hesitate to call in a yard or landscaping crew. And it goes without saying, make sure any new grass you add matches your current selection, unless you’re specifically looking to change it up.
9. A Gravel Pathway. We love a good gravel pathway! In fact, adding pebbles and stepping stones to your yard can create an instant modern look and help define your outdoor space. Below we see angled stones of different sizes in a sea of gray gravel. Design perfection!
You can also go larger with pebbles rather than pea gravel. Remember that it can be stunning to choose contrasting colors for the stepping stones and filler rocks. Below we see round black stones and earth-toned pebbles.
10. A Large Planter of Greenery. We end with one more powerful way to update your home-with a planter full of greenery! From large pots to planter boxes with clean lines, the possibilities are endless. Remember to choose plants that truly complement the shape of their containers. In the next featured image, we see spiky foliage in rectangular planters.
In fact, you may be tempted to go with more than one planter, as these receptacles are a great way to help landscape your yard and define your space.
Tell us about your easy home update ideas. Whether you’ve found a great way to beautify the inside of your home or spruce up your yard, we’d love to hear your thoughts.